Saturday, July 14, 2012

What Does the Bible Say About Abortion?


Abortion is an issue which creates a dividing line that seems to be deeper and broader than any other issue. People take one side or the other, but there does not seem to be a middle ground. And with good reason. Some people feel that it is nobody's business but the woman concerned, as it is an issue about her body and nothing else. The other side feel that it is a question of murdering an innocent child. So naturally there is no middle ground here. Before getting into this article, I wanted to share some stories.

There may be those who come here and ask by what right do I feel that I have to address such an issue. Have I ever been faced with a situation that demanded that this sort of choice be made? In fact I have and that is why I feel I have a right to talk about this. I did not get married and start my family until I was in my thirties. When I was pregnant with my third child (I miscarried my second child), because of my age, the doctors wanted all kinds of tests done. They wanted this, because it was their practice to protect themselves (understandably) from all these lawsuits that people are constantly making against doctors when something goes wrong, as if the doctors are God and can actually control every situation. Because these doctors did not want to proceed to care for a woman who had a pregnancy that was abnormal without taking legal precautions, they wanted me to take tests to determine if the baby was normal or had problems. I had already had a difficult first pregnancy and birth (my first child almost died), and lost the second child, so they were concerned about my pregnancy. Early on in this last pregnancy I had a test done to determine if the baby had Down's Syndrome. The test came back positive that this baby was going to have Down's Syndrome, and these doctors were big into abortion (unbeknownst to me at the time) so they started pressuring me to get one. My immediate response without any thought was, “No! Absolutely not,” as I believe abortion is murder. As a result, I had to sign a waiver that I would not sue them or hold them responsible for anything that happened in my pregnancy. I then had to tell my family and my husband's family what we were facing so that they would not be blindsided when the baby came.

Interestingly, the one side, who are not born-again Christians were very supportive and did not want me to abort, which I assured them I had no intention of doing. On the other side, who were born-again Christians, I had a mixed response. Some were supportive, and others wanted me to abort, and for selfish reasons which had to do with them, not me. They did not want to have to deal with a child who was not normal. It would be an embarrassment to them. To say that I was devastated by this response is an understatement. I realized that if God did decide that this baby was to be born with Down's Syndrome (regardless of what the doctors said, I trusted God that if He wanted it, the baby would be fine), that I probably would not be seeing these family members again with this attitude of theirs. As I was only in the very early stages, I had many months to agonize over what was coming. I did not know if I had what it took to be a mother to a child that would require so much, nor if I could handle the relatives who wanted no part of this baby if there was something wrong. I knew that God knew what was better for me than I did though, so I trusted. Now you might say, where was the difficulty in making the decision if you never questioned what your decision would be. Just because we choose to make the right choice does not mean that you do not agonize over that decision's consequences. I knew it was the right choice, but I was scared to death of what it might mean. What I did know was that I could not kill my baby.

Well, my baby was born, and in God's infinite wisdom and mercy, he was pretty much fine. He did have biliruben and had some small physical and learning problems, but other than that he was beautiful. I tried putting my children in a Christian school at first, but as my older son has Asperger's Syndrome, and this son had some learning problems, I decided to homeschool. Well, if you have read my other blog articles, you may already know that my sons (who went back into private school for high school) both graduated as the Valedictorians of their class, both got several scholarships to college, both graduated with multiple honors and awards, and both had difficult majors. The older one is an engineer, and the one about whom I am writing is a forensic anthropologist. Not shabby career choices. Both were respected and liked by not only classmates, but they both were greatly liked by their professors who made a point of telling me just how much they admired my sons. Both are wonderful Christian young men. Imagine had I aborted this wonderful child what would have been lost in this world. Who knows how many lives he may have touched so far and will touch in the future? Every person should look at the movie It's a Wonderful Life and think about how different life would be for people if they had not been there. Or if someone they love had not been there. Well, how many children who might have changed the world by finding cures for diseases, or saving lives, or who knows what, have been killed? I am not the only one who has been told that the baby was abnormal only to find out that the doctors did not know everything and that tests are not necessarily accurate. While at my obstetrician's office during this pregnancy, I had a chance to talk with a woman who had been given the same diagnosis as me, but who had opted to abort her child. After the abortion the doctors told her that the baby was actually normal and did not have what the tests said it did. She was so racked with guilt that she could barely speak of it without collapsing into sobbing. She will live with that guilt for the rest of her life.

I also have had several friends who have had abortions. And in every case they are extremely guilt-ridden and sad that they made this choice. And in one case at least, I think God punished her, for she could only conceive once more. God then closed her womb. I am always hearing about women who are filled with guilt over having an abortion and wish they could go back and not do it, but I have yet to hear from anyone that they are very happy that they killed their baby. The psychological effects of this procedure are devastating, but family planning/pro-choice clinics never tell the girls this, as they do not want the girls to change their minds. Nor do they tell the girls the truth about what is going on in their bodies nor what happens in an abortion. If most girls were even told this latter part, they most likely would never go through with it, which is why this information is withheld. Should not everyone be told, when they are undergoing a surgical procedure, what is going to happen to them. Should they not be told what is really going on with their bodies? Yet pro-choice advocates go out of their way to keep these girls from finding out the truth. If there is nothing wrong with abortion, as they claim, then why do they go to so much trouble to keep all this a secret? And why do they go after pro-life clinics to try to prevent them from showing the girls what the biological facts of their condition are, and what the procedure they are considering will do? Does not hiding truth about a medical condition and the surgery in question seem just a little suspicious as to motives?

To rectify that situation, before I even begin to discuss the spiritual ramifications of abortion, I would simply like to scientifically discuss pregnancy and the growth of a baby, and show (in a non-graphic way) what the different surgical procedures of abortion entail. The easiest way to do this was to find videos that show these things. With the wonderful technology today, it is possible to take pictures with tiny cameras in utero so that it can actually be seen how a baby develops and what may be too small to see, computer graphics do a good job of conveying. The first video that you should watch is the one I have linked below. It shows the development of a baby over the course of a pregnancy.


Now that you have seen the development of a baby, it can be seen that it is not a blob of tissue. Practically right from the start, and at the very least by the time a woman realizes she is pregnant, the baby is already looking like a baby with a body, little hands and feet, etc. Notice how quickly the baby goes from just a few cells to being a tiny little human being. In a matter of a few weeks there is a tiny human being living inside its mother.

Next I would like to look at the statistics of abortion to see how much it is occurring. The following statistics below were taken directly from: http://www.abortionno.org/Resources/fastfacts.html

As this is a Christian blog, I need to point out one of the statistics below. Notice that a full 18% of the women who have an abortion performed claim to be born-again evangelical Christians. This is simply more commentary on the state of Christianity today, that these women would even consider doing this.

WORLDWIDE
Number of abortions per year: Approximately 42 Million
Number of abortions per day:
Approximately 115,000

Where abortions occur:83% of all abortions are obtained in developing countries and 17% occur in developed countries.
© Copyright 1996-2008, The Alan Guttmacher Institute. (www.agi-usa.org)
UNITED STATES
Number of abortions per year: 1.37 Million (1996)
Number of abortions per day:
Approximately 3,700

Who's having abortions (age)?52% of women obtaining abortions in the U.S. are younger than 25: Women aged 20-24 obtain 32% of all abortions; Teenagers obtain 20% and girls under 15 account for 1.2%.
Who's having abortions (race)?While white women obtain 60% of all abortions, their abortion rate is well below that of minority women. Black women are more than 3 times as likely as white women to have an abortion, and Hispanic women are roughly 2 times as likely.
Who's having abortions (marital status)?64.4% of all abortions are performed on never-married women; Married women account for 18.4% of all abortions and divorced women obtain 9.4%.
Who's having abortions (religion)?Women identifying themselves as Protestants obtain 37.4% of all abortions in the U.S.; Catholic women account for 31.3%, Jewish women account for 1.3%, and women with no religious affiliation obtain 23.7% of all abortions. 18% of all abortions are performed on women who identify themselves as "Born-again/Evangelical".
Who's having abortions (income)?Women with family incomes less than $15,000 obtain 28.7% of all abortions; Women with family incomes between $15,000 and $29,999 obtain 19.5%; Women with family incomes between $30,000 and $59,999 obtain 38.0%; Women with family incomes over $60,000 obtain 13.8%.
Why women have abortions1% of all abortions occur because of rape or incest; 6% of abortions occur because of potential health problems regarding either the mother or child, and 93% of all abortions occur for social reasons (i.e. the child is unwanted or inconvenient).
At what gestational ages are abortions performed:52% of all abortions occur before the 9th week of pregnancy, 25% happen between the 9th & 10th week, 12% happen between the 11th and 12th week, 6% happen between the 13th & 15th week, 4% happen between the 16th & 20th week, and 1% of all abortions (16,450/yr.) happen after the 20th week of pregnancy.
Likelihood of abortion:An estimated 43% of all women will have at least 1 abortion by the time they are 45 years old. 47% of all abortions are performed on women who have had at least one previous abortion.
Next I would like to look at the surgical procedures used in abortion. There are three types of abortions. The first is the curette or vacuum aspiration/suction. The following videos are not graphic, but are diagrams, drawings, or explanations using props of the surgical procedures, and therefore should not offend anyone's sensibilites. It is very important if you want to truly understand the facts that you view these videos.

This first video is of a procedure that would take place in the first trimester. It is a curette and vacuum aspiration abortion at 6-7 weeks.


This next video is of the procedure that would take place during the second trimester. It is abortion by dismemberment at 23 weeks.


This video shows how the partial birth abortion, which would be performed in the last couple months of a pregnancy would be done. This requires the actual delivery of the baby, except for the head, to be performed.


This last video is a doctor showing on a television screen an ultrasound video (which is black and white and very grainy as ultrasounds are) of an actual abortion taking place. It is not gory and actually it is hard to see anything, but the description of the event is valuable for seeing what actually takes place. Again, the purpose for showing all these videos is to simply give the factual scientific information about the medical condition of pregnancy and the surgical procedures of abortion. They are the factual biological and medical truth of pregnancy and what happens in abortions. It is nothing more than medical information.

A real video via ultrasound of an actual abortion.


Now that you are armed with the medical facts, and having watched the videos (I am assuming you did), we are ready to move on to what the Bible says about babies and how God feels about abortion. You can see in the first video that an in utero baby is not a blob of tissue as abortion proponents would have you believe. From three weeks on, the baby's heart is beating and by two months (generally a women is about this pregnant before she even realizes she is pregnant) the baby is beginning to look like a baby. Notice that at nine weeks in the video the baby appears to be sticking his thumb in his mouth. So scientifically, you have now seen what a baby looks like during gestation. Is it a blob, or is it a baby? Obviously it is a baby, practically from the first moment it is conceived. It is its own person, having its own body, brain, heart, and eternal spirit. The first few are obvious, but how can I make such a statement about the latter? Because God tells us so. He knows all of us from the moment of conception, from our mother's womb.

Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

Judges 13:5,7 “For, lo, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and no razor shall come on his head: for the child shall be a Nazarite unto God from the womb: and he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hand of the Philistines......But he said unto me, Behold, thou shalt conceive, and bear a son; and now drink no wine nor strong drink, neither eat any unclean thing: for the child shall be a Nazarite to God from the womb to the day of his death.

Judges 16:17 “That he told her all his heart, and said unto her, There hath not come a razor upon mine head; for I have been a Nazarite unto God from my mother's womb: if I be shaven, then my strength will go from me, and I shall become weak, and be like any other man.”

Psalms 22:10 “I was cast upon thee from the womb: thou art my God from my mother's belly.

Psalms 71:6 “By thee have I been holden up from the womb: thou art he that took me out of my mother's bowels: my praise shall be continually of thee.”

Psalms 139:13 “For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.”

Isaiah 49:1 “Listen, O isles, unto me; and hearken, ye people, from far; The LORD hath called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name.”

Not only does God know His chosen from the womb, He also knows the wicked with whom He will never have a relationship from the womb. They are known to be His enemies before they are even born. Every baby is known by God, whether they will be His chosen or not.

Psalms 58:3 “The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.”

The reason God knows us from the womb, is because God is the one who forms us in our mother's womb. It is not simply a matter of biology. He opens the womb and he shuts the womb. He knows us before we are even conceived, and for Him to know us, we must be an eternal spirit. He has ordained everybody's life from the beginning of creation. He has sanctified his chosen ones before they even come out of their mother's womb and as said before, He knows His enemies before they are born.

Everyone knows the story of Abraham and Sarah. Sarah had been childless all her life. In their old age, the Angel of the Lord came to visit them, with two other angels, before going on to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah. During the course of the visit, Sarah was told that she would bear a son to Abraham. She was ninety years old at the time the promise was made that she would bear a son in the following year. Genesis 18:11-14 “Now Abraham and Sarah were old and well stricken in age; and it ceased to be with Sarah after the manner of women. Therefore Sarah laughed within herself, saying, After I am waxed old shall I have pleasure, my lord being old also? And the LORD said unto Abraham, Wherefore did Sarah laugh, saying, Shall I of a surety bear a child, which am old? Is any thing too hard for the LORD? At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have a son.”

Genesis 21:1-2 “And the LORD visited Sarah as he had said, and the LORD did unto Sarah as he had spoken. For Sarah conceived, and bare Abraham a son in his old age, at the set time of which God had spoken to him.”

Clearly God was the one who created Isaac in Sarah's womb, for she was well past childbearing years. There were many times this was the case in Scripture that God opened and closed wombs. This is still the case. I have known women who were told by doctors that they would never have children, but bore several in fact. One sought my advice after she had been asked by a man to marry him. She was in her mid-thirties and had been told that she could never have children and felt it was unfair to marry him under the circumstances. I told her I had known several women in that situation, and that they had had children, because children were given by the Lord, not just a biological process. I advised her to trust God and marry him. She did and was pregnant before the honeymoon was over. She also found herself pregnant a second time soon after the first was born. This in spite of the doctors' guarantee that she would never have children.

Genesis 20:18 “For the LORD had fast closed up all the wombs of the house of Abimelech, because of Sarah Abraham's wife.”

Genesis 29:31 “And when the LORD saw that Leah was hated, he opened her womb: but Rachel was barren.”

Genesis 30:2 “And Jacob's anger was kindled against Rachel: and he said, Am I in God's stead, who hath withheld from thee the fruit of the womb?”

Genesis 30:22 “And God remembered Rachel, and God hearkened to her, and opened her womb.”

Genesis 49:25 “Even by the God of thy father, who shall help thee; and by the Almighty, who shall bless thee with blessings of heaven above, blessings of the deep that lieth under, blessings of the breasts, and of the womb.”

1 Samuel 1:5-6 “But unto Hannah he gave a worthy portion; for he loved Hannah: but the LORD had shut up her womb. And her adversary also provoked her sore, for to make her fret, because the LORD had shut up her womb.”

Job 31:15 “Did not he that made me in the womb make him? and did not one fashion us in the womb?”

Isaiah 44:2 “Thus saith the LORD that made thee, and formed thee from the womb, which will help thee; Fear not, O Jacob, my servant; and thou, Jesurun, whom I have chosen.”

Isaiah 44:24 “Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself.”

Jeremiah 1:5 “Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

So God is the one who forms the baby. It is not just the result of a sperm and egg uniting. As He is forming a new person, it is clear that the baby is not just a part of the mother's body, but a separate individual with a spirit and life of its own, given by God. And that gift of a baby is supposed to be a blessing from God, a heritage and reward, not something you should throw away, or in this case, kill.

Psalms 127:3 “Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.”

But let us return to the facts for a moment. Abortion proponents say that the fetus, which I prefer to call a baby, is not its own person, but a part of their body, as if it were a functioning part of their body like any other organ. Really? It would seem to me that if it were a functioning part of their body, and not a separate organism, it would have been functioning from the beginning and would function to the end of their lives. It is a part of their body only in that the eggs, which are the genetic material for the children which God will create, are hosted within the reproductive part of their body, and this reproductive part of the body becomes active for a number of years within a woman's life. But these eggs, this genetic reproductive material is discarded by the body every month from the onset of menses until menopause. The entire purpose for these eggs existing is for the creation of another individual, not for any purpose for the woman. She does not need this reproductive system at all to live. The fact is, these eggs were only put there by God, so that there could be procreation by a man and woman to carry on mankind, since we die (and He knew in advance we would). Each egg is a potential person if God decides to use it to create a spirit. It is completely non-essential to the woman. The woman is merely a holding vessel for the eggs until the time for them to unite with a sperm and become a separate individual takes place. Then the woman becomes an incubator for the baby.

If it were not true that the baby is a separate person, then babies could not be conceived outside of the womb, and clearly in this day and age they are. In fact, if an artificial incubator were created that could supply all the needs the developing baby has, a woman would not even be needed. So to say that this separate individual is a part of her body, that she owns it and has a right to say what happens to it is completely wrong. It is its own person and has its own rights. And while our government has ordained that these babies' lives can be taken by their mothers with the help of a doctor, the fact remains that legally if someone causes a woman to lose her baby against her will, or steals that baby before birth through violent means, the perpetrators can and have been found guilty of murder and kidnapping. How on the one hand can our government find someone guilty of murder, if a woman loses her baby before it is born as a direct result of something they did, as it is classified a person, and yet if the woman decides to take the life of the baby herself, it is no longer a person but a blob of tissue? Why exactly does this difference exist? If it is a person in the one case, why is it not a person in the second case? It is not considered a person in the second case, because mankind has decided to justify their sin of murder.

Make no mistake. Abortion is willful murder. A baby is hosted by the mother for the first nine months of its life until it is sufficiently developed to function without the help of the mother's body. It is no different from a person being kept alive by machines. The machines do not own the person whose life they are supporting. Neither does the mother own the baby's life in the sense that it is part of her body which she has the right to destroy. Abortion is the wanton destruction of another innocent person's life. It cannot be anything else, as the choice to kill the baby is a deliberate one that is planned by the mother and her doctor. And do not think that God will not hold the doctor's, nurses, and anyone else involved in the death of this child as guiltless. God will punish them accordingly. The baby has not done anything to be guilty of execution. He has committed no crime, in fact he has committed no sin. He cannot defend himself, so he cannot stop the assault against him. He has not assaulted the mother in any way, so she is not killing him in self-defense. It is not manslaughter, as it was not an unintentional death. The only phrase that applies here is premeditated murder. What does God say about premeditated murder?

Exodus 20:13 “Thou shalt not kill.”

Deuteronomy 5:17 “Thou shalt not kill.”

Matthew 5:21a “Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill.”

Mark 10:19 “Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.”

Luke 18:20 “Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother.”

James 2:11 “For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill. Now if thou commit no adultery, yet if thou kill, thou art become a transgressor of the law.”

And what is the penalty for premeditated murder in God's eyes? Death.

Leviticus 24:17 “And he that killeth any man shall surely be put to death.”

Numbers 35:30 “Whoso killeth any person, the murderer shall be put to death by the mouth of witnesses: but one witness shall not testify against any person to cause him to die.”

Matthew 5:21 “Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment.

God's judgment for this sin is death. If one were to follow the lives of the women and doctors who take these children's lives, what would they find happens to them? I know what happened to one doctor who did this. I was not aware of his penchant for liking to not only perform abortions, but for performing partial birth abortions – illegally. He was caught, convicted, and lost his license to practice the last I knew. God stopped him.

While killing anybody, child or adult bears the punishment of death in God's eyes, He especially hates it when someone hurts an innocent child. They are to bear a special punishment for this sin and crime. The sacrificing of children (and that is really what abortion is, a sacrifice on the altar of selfishness to Satan) was something that Israel was guilty of participating in when they adopted pagan ways. They would offer their babies to be burned on the altar of Molech. How anyone could do this to a live baby is unthinkable, and I am sure that even pro-choice people would cringe at seeing a live baby tossed on a burning fire, yet is that not what abortion is? Offering a live baby to be killed? It is especially heinous when the baby is full-term in a partial birth abortion. This child has the ability to feel pain just as you and I do. How would you feel if someone jammed a pair of scissors up the back of your neck into your head and started cutting up your brain? Do you think you'd feel pain? Do you think you'd be terrified? That is how they do these late term abortions. These little ones have angels that watch over them, and these angels report to God what you do to them. He is well aware of who is hurting His little ones.

Mathew 18:10 “Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.”

Matthew 18:6 “But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.”

Mark 9:42 “And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea.”

Luke 17:2 “It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.”

God especially does not like it for a child to die as a result of something we do.

Matthew 18:14 “Even so it is not the will of your Father which is in heaven, that one of these little ones should perish.”

While abortionists and these mothers would never say that they are offering these babies as a sacrifice to Molech, that is exactly what they are doing. Satan wants these children dead. He uses selfishness to achieve this end. The statistics said that 93% of abortions are done because the baby is an “inconvenience” or simply “unwanted.” Every abortion is a sacrifice to him, which is really what a sacrifice to Molech was also. Just because they let the children be born before they threw them on the fire and nowadays they kill them before they are born (sometimes the baby is nearly completely born) and don't burn them but cut them into pieces, it does not alter the fact that it is a sacrifice to Satan.

Leviticus 18”21 “And thou shalt not let any of thy seed pass through the fire to Molech, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD.”

Leviticus 20:2-5 “Again, thou shalt say to the children of Israel, Whosoever he be of the children of Israel, or of the strangers that sojourn in Israel, that giveth any of his seed unto Molech; he shall surely be put to death: the people of the land shall stone him with stones. And I will set my face against that man, and will cut him off from among his people; because he hath given of his seed unto Molech, to defile my sanctuary, and to profane my holy name. And if the people of the land do any ways hide their eyes from the man, when he giveth of his seed unto Molech, and kill him not: Then I will set my face against that man, and against his family, and will cut him off, and all that go a whoring after him, to commit whoredom with Molech, from among their people.

Notice that last section of this passage which is in bold print. If the people of the land hide their eyes or turn a blind eye to this horrific sin, God will be against that sinner, his family, and all who go along with this, among all the people in the land. America (and every other country) be forewarned. God is very angry over this. The world is going to be seriously punished for this sin. Look back at how many babies a day are being killed in the world. 115,000 a day. 115,000 babies are being murdered in this world every day. In this country (when these statistics were taken) it is 3,700 every day. Do you think God is going to ignore this and leave it unpunished? You had better read those verses above again about what He wants to do to those who hurt little children. And these statistics are only about abortion. They don't begin to cover all the abused children. Continuing on with God's mandates on this issue.

2 Kings 23:10 “And he defiled Topheth, which is in the valley of the children of Hinnom, that no man might make his son or his daughter to pass through the fire to Molech.”

Jeremiah 32:35 “And they built the high places of Baal, which are in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire unto Molech; which I commanded them not, neither came it into my mind, that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin.”

As said above, God will not leave a land unpunished who is guilty of this sin.

Amos 1:13 “Thus saith the LORD; For three transgressions of the children of Ammon, and for four, I will not turn away the punishment thereof; because they have ripped up the women with child of Gilead, that they might enlarge their border.

In fact the punishment may very well fit the crime by being the very crime itself. He has used the very sin a people have committed as the punishment they will suffer at the hands of their enemies.

Hosea 13:16 “Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up.”

Isaiah 13:18 “Their bows also shall dash the young men to pieces; and they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb; their eye shall not spare children.

Is a baby aware while it is still in utero? They are saying that babies know their mother's voices and that playing music and reading books, etc. is having an effect on the baby. Is there anything in Scripture that indicates that a baby is aware while in its mother's womb? Yes, in fact there is.

Luke 1:41 “And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost.”

Luke 1:44 “For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.

Infertility seems to be becoming a serious problem with many women these days. Why is that? Is it because it is a punishment for sexual promiscuity and all the abortions that they are having?

Hosea 9:14 “Give them, O LORD: what wilt thou give? give them a miscarrying womb and dry breasts.”

So first we have seen that a baby is a baby almost from day one. It is not just a blob of tissue as pro-choice people would have you believe. Next we see that this is at epidemic proportions in this country as well as around the world. This sin will not go unpunished. Then we have seen the horrible, heinous three ways that a baby is ripped apart and killed when it is an “inconvenience” for the mother. Lastly we have seen what God has had to say on the matter.

Now there are some cases that people would say do not fall into this category of “inconvenience.” What if the mother was raped and the child is the result of that? Or what if the mother's life is in danger?

In the first instance, rape is not a reason to kill a child. Remember the above verses. God is the one who opens the womb, so if a rape results in a pregnancy, one must accept that this is God's will and the child will be a blessing. One always has the option of giving a child away in adoption. As infertility is a serious problem, there are many people longing to have a baby who would jump at the chance to adopt an unwanted child. The important thing is to give the child life.

As for what happens if a woman's life is in danger, I can only offer a Scripture verse and recommendation that you have the Lord as your Savior so that you can claim the promise in the verse. 1 Timothy 2:15 “Notwithstanding she shall be saved in childbearing, if they continue in faith and charity and holiness with sobriety.” Our lives are in God's hands and we have an appointed time to die. If we are meant to die, then will it matter if it is in childbirth, or if it occurs some other way at that appointed time? Do you want to die with murder to your account? We must trust God, and I know if the doctor has given someone bad news, that is not easy to accept. Everyone wants to live. But God is a God of the impossible, and doctors are not God. They are wrong many times, so you trust your life to God.

One last story that I want to share is about my cousin. Many years ago, when she was pregnant with her first baby, she went into early labor five months into her pregnancy. They were unable to stop the labor and she gave birth to a one pound baby girl. At that early stage, few babies survive as their lungs and other organs are not fully developed enough to live outside of their mother's womb. But people prayed. And this little girl came home a few months later, a beautiful perfect little girl. In fact a few weeks ago I saw this lovely young lady who just recently had her first baby. Many women are having abortions at this stage of their pregnancy with the idea that it isn't a baby. It is “a part of their body.” Well the fact that this young woman lived outside her mother's womb four months earlier than a normal baby does shows that a baby is a live baby very early on, and with medical help can grow and develop outside the mother's womb, thereby showing it is not a part of the mother's body. It is its own person and to kill it is simply outright murder.

The last thing I want to share is a picture that became well-known a number of years ago. It was the picture of a baby in utero being operated on for spina bifida. He reached out of the mother's uterus and grabbed the doctor's finger. There has been much debate over whether the baby grabbed the doctor's finger, or the doctor grabbed the baby's hand. You look at the picture and decide which is taking place. The real point is, look at the hand. That is a baby. Not a blob of tissue.


No comments:

Post a Comment